Inspired by Daphne du Maurier...

Last month I stumbled across a lovely little second-hand bookshop just around the corner from where I work: Hurlingham Books is crammed full of books! Mounds of them piled high to the ceiling; the window has disappeared behind them, with the colourful spines tempting you in.
I love books, and even more so, I love second-hand books! The smell, that well loved appearance, and if there's a little note left inside - even better!
On my last visit, I was talking to the man who work's there, when out of the blue he asked me if I'd read The Birds by Daphne du Maurier, a novelette written in 1952 which was the inspiration for the film by Alfred Hitchcock in 1963.
He mentioned that the original is set in Cornwall, a place that I was going soon on holiday and so I bought her book The Birds and Other Stories to read while I'm there.
Being in Cornwall, you couldn't help but feel like you were in Daphne Du Maurier's homeland, everywhere you went you were filled with inspiration.
I, as expected, completely fell in love with Cornwall. I also found a great love for an author that before my visit to Hurlingham Books I hadn't heard of before. And as well as being inspired by her writing I was also inspired by a photograph I found of her, which is really the whole point to this long-winded blog post...

The young Daphne du Maurier
I've never edited an image in sepia before, I barely ever edit in black & white, but I really wanted to try and re-create something similar to the above photograph. I love the tones of this simple portrait. It is so beautifully soft and serene; her eyes are full of emotion and completely control the image.
I wish I'd had to means to create this like for like, the textures in the above photograph are wonderful!
However, I am really pleased with how my own image turned out using digital :-)

Self, age 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment