2013: My Year in Books

Since 2011 I have documented the books I've read each year, as both a reference for myself and as a way of keeping track.

In 2011, I read 18 books.
I had my final term of university & then moved to London. I travelled to work everyday on the London Underground, a twice daily tube journey was the perfect time for reading!

In 2012, I read 17 books.
I discovered that buses are cheaper than the tube - it was a mini revelation for a newbie Londoner. Alas though, I am not someone who can read in cars or on buses, give me a train any day! Then I started a new job where the commute was a simple walk from my flat. Sadly my reading time reduced this year.

In 2013, I read 14 books. The worst so far! (and one of those was for work...)
For the first half of the year I was still walking to work. In March I spent 3 weeks in America where I was far too busy exploring to read anything. Then we moved offices and my commute became a long bus journey everyday. And to top it off, our new office building has no proper communal area or parks nearby for me to spend my lunches reading - rubbish!

The books I enjoyed the most this year were:
  • Googlewhack! and America Unchained by Dave Gorman - if you've never read any of Dave Gorman's work you really should. He is a great writer and comedian, you won't be able to put his books down!
  • A Kestral for a Knave (Kes) by Barry Hines - I loved this story! The way the Yorkshire dialect is written is perfect.
  • Unsaid Things...Our Story by McFly - ok, so I'm probably a bit biased about this one, being a bit of a fan and all, but it was a very interesting read.
  • The Diamond as Big as the Ritz and Other Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald - the title story was definitely my favourite here but the whole book is a great read.
  • Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier - the way she writes is wonderful!

So 2014, you WILL be a better year for reading! I have a long list to get through and it's only going to get longer... I definitely want to read more classics in 2014, plus make a start on the gems I acquired recently. I've set myself a 2014 Reading Challenge of 18 books. It's not a huge target but it's a realistic one!

L-R: Googlewhack! by Dave Gorman, The Science of Marketing by Dan Zarrella (this was for work...yawn!), A Kestral for a Knave (Kes) by Barry Hines, The Diamond as Big as the Ritz and Other Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier, The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger, America Unchained by Dave Gorman, Unsaid Things...Our Story by McFly, The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike, Then We Came To The End by Joshua Ferris, Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift, The Christmas Books Volume 2: The Cricket on the Hearth/The Battle of Life/The Haunted Man by Charles Dickens, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

No comments:

Post a Comment