Happy Birthday A.A.Milne!

Today would have been A.A.Milne's 132nd birthday, so I thought I would write a little post to celebrate it...

Alan Alexander Milne was an English author best known for his books about Winnie the Pooh, a fictional bear that lives in the Hundred Acre Wood (a fictional wood inspired by the Ashdown Forest in Sussex).

Winnie the Pooh was named after a teddy bear owned by A.A.Milne's son, Christopher Robin, who himself was the basis for the character of the same name. His toy bear was named "Winnie" after a Canadian black bear that he saw at London Zoo and "Pooh" after a swan they met on holiday. Other toys owned by his son also had their names lent to characters in the book.

For as long as I can remember I've been very fond of Winnie the Pooh and his Hundred Acre Wood friends. As a child my bedroom was adorned with all things Pooh Bear, everything featured him! If there was an option to have something Winnie the Pooh themed, I almost certainly did. And although this may not be the case these days, I still love that silly old bear! He sits proudly at the top of my tree every year, and as I type I am sat by a Winnie the Pooh shaped cushion.
Winnie the Pooh will always be important to me, especially because of the special connection he provided between myself and my late Grandpa M. He was very fond of him too and so it felt kind of like our thing, providing many happy memories :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment