Read: The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins


"May the odds be ever in your favor"

For a long time I was adamant that I wouldn't read The Hunger Games trilogy. The whole thing felt like a bit of a craze and I didn't want to feel like I was joining a fan club. But then last August we finally watched the first film. It was marketed as "Young Adult Science Fiction", a genre I had no interest in and thus had no visions of liking it all that much... but oh how wrong I was. I ended up really enjoying it and couldn't wait for the next film (yes please, more Jennifer Lawrence). But before doing so I thought I'd give the books a read.

I was drawn in by the shiny ones of course - hello magpie tendencies - and after a month of the first (very shiny gold) one sitting on my shelf, I finally took the plunge. And plunge I did! I became completely engrossed in it. I read it whenever I could - before work, during lunch, after work, before bed, on the train, waiting for Andrew. I already knew the outcome from the film, but the book was (obviously) so much better! I even shamelessly fell a little bit for Peeta... I finished the first book in under a week - something I hadn't done in a long time - and rushed out to buy the second one.
Whilst reading Catching Fire I'll admit that I started to become a tiny bit obsessed (and fell a little bit more for that boy with the bread). I watched the first film again - twice in one week! And although I'd never planned to join any fan clubs, I had inevitably become a fan. Not the type of fan that frequents forums, writes fan fiction and buys a Mockingjay pin (well, I wont completely rule that one out because who doesn't love a good brooch?!), but the kind where you happily watch the films a few more times and wait patiently for the next. And that's ok. I think...

As with the first book, I finished the second in under a week, and the third, Mockingjay, in even less time. In just over two weeks I'd read the whole trilogy and it felt refreshing to have been so eager to read again! I often struggled to put the book down, or leave it be for too long, and I just kept thinking "but what happens next?!" -  I had to know!

If you haven't already read The Hunger Games trilogy I highly recommend giving it a go. Who knows, maybe you'll end up enjoying it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment