2014: My Year in Books

At the start of 2014 I set myself a goal to read at least 18 books, and somehow managed to read 25! I'm surprised with how much I surpassed my initial goal as there were some books that took a whole month to finish (I'm looking at you, A Game of Thrones!).

My most favourite reads of 2014 were...
  • The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins: I read all 3 books in a week! I just couldn't put them down. I wasn't sure about these at first but I'm really glad I gave them a chance as needless to say I'm now a big fan!
  • The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris: I don't know why but I'm obsessed with learning more about Teddy Roosevelt, he was such a fascinating man and this book really highlights that. This one is the first of a series of three and takes you from his birth to the day he becomes President. There really was never a dull moment in his life!
  • The Sound of Wings: the Life of Amelia Earhart by Mary S. Lovell: likewise with Theodore Roosevelt, Amelia Earhart is someone I am fascinated by and was itching to learn more about her. There were a lot of books to choose from but as this one had the best reviews I went with it. I wasn't disappointed, Mary S. Lovell covered everything I could have wanted to know and more!

My least favourite read of 2014 was...
  • Gone by Michael Grant: This story could have been so good...if it had been written by someone else, maybe someone more on a teenager/young adult level. The plot was great and the development of the story worked well, I sadly just didn't like how it was written.

I figured for 2015 I should aim higher and so my challenge this year is to read 25 books, as a minimum! You can follow my progress through Goodreads here.

Have you set yourself any reading goals this year? Let me know - I'd love to follow yours too!

L-R: The Christmas Books Volume 2: The Cricket on the Hearth/The Battle of Life/The Haunted Man by Charles Dickens, Join Me by Danny Wallace, Paper Towns by John Green, The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, Lord of the Flies by William Golding, The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, Friends Like These by Danny Wallace, The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend, The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, The Princess Bride by William Goldman, The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson, Bridget Jones's Diary and The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding, State by State: A Panoramic Portrait of America by Matt Weiland, The Sound of Wings: the Life of Amelia Earhart by Mary S. Lovell, Rabbit, Run by John Updike, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, Brooklyn Was Mine by Valerie Steiker, Gone by Michael Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment