Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 2014

So I know it's January, and Thanksgiving was over a month ago, but I still wanted to share some pictures of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade with you, before, y'know, next Thanksgiving!
As it was our first Thanksgiving in America we figured we should do something more for it than just sit in our pyjamas and watch every Thanksgiving Day episode of Friends (I mean we did do that too...), and so instead we got dressed and headed out to brave the madness of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. We didn't bother getting up as early as some people do, because, well, we're not crazy (sleep is important, y'know), and I mainly just wanted to see the balloons which you don't really need to be at the front to see. We arrived at our spot a few blocks down from the Museum of Natural History about half an hour before it kicked off and although the crowds were already manic our view wasn't too bad.
The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade has been held annually since 1924 and the world famous giant helium balloons were first introduced in 1927 - fun fact(!): Macy's is the world's second largest consumer of helium, behind the U.S. Government.
The atmosphere in the crowd was a happy one, despite how cramped we all were, and seeing those giant balloons in real life was a lot of fun! My personal favourites were Thomas the Tank Engine, the red Power Ranger and the Pillsbury Doughboy - because look how full o'fun that little guy is!
And last but not least...SANTA!!

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was certainly an experience I'm happy we had, but in all honesty it's not something I'll be in any great rush to do again. Next year I think I'll watch it in my pyjamas, from the comfort of my sofa, whilst drinking a big mug of tea and eating waffles, and it'll be perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment