My 2015

January
We settled in to our first full year in NYC, experienced our first proper snow (like, not just slush, but actual sticks-around-for-weeks snow), tried the infamous City Kitchen hot chocolate with gargantuan marshmallow, saw the Friends building for the first time, and I completed my first cross stitch!

February
We met up with our friends from home that were in town (and they brought with them lots of chocolate & biscuits!), our sofa finally arrived (sitting never felt so good) and I created my first weaving. (February was a reeeeally quiet month...)

March
We discovered more gems in our neighbourhood and explored Green Wood Cemetery. We celebrated our 1st wedding anniversary (as well as our 7 year anniversary) by going to see Something Rotten on broadway, buying MOMA membership and a book each from the Strand (what with it being the paper anniversary an' all!). I was also finally able to start applying for jobs and was offered one within a week!
April
My employment authorisation finally arrived, I started my new job, and NYC began to thaw. My brother came to visit and brought lots of goodies from home, we visited the Brooklyn Flea, walked across Brooklyn Bridge, rode Jane's Carousel and saw Hand to God on broadway. The city was filled with beautiful blossoms everywhere and I fell even more in love with this town! Oh, and I turned 26!

May
We visited the Brooklyn Botanic Garden during the blossom season, the New York Botanical Garden for the Frida Kahlo exhibit and Governors Island (the first of many trips this summer), to laze in hammocks and eat ice cream. I also discovered iced coffee and completely fell in love with it!

June
We travelled outside New York for the first time since we moved with a weekend in Philadelphia, PA and I spent a few days in Orlando, FL with work. We went to Yayoi Kusama's Give Me Love Obliteration Room, met friends at the Gansevoort rooftop bar, I went for my first NYC manicure and we watched Back to the Future on the rooftop of the Yotel Hotel!
 July
We celebrated our first July 4th weekend in the U.S, I went to the top of One World Trade on a work field trip and we headed back to the UK for the first time since we left. We spent some marvellous days back in London, my baby brother turned 21 and graduated, we spent a weekend in Center Parcs and a wonderful week back home on the Isle of Man.

August
We spent a lot of time soaking up the sunshine in Brooklyn Bridge Park and on Governors Island (where we rode a Surrey bike) and getting the most tanned we've ever been! We went to a brunch screening of True Lies at Nitehawk Cinema, visited Storm King Art Center, spent a day in Central Park and discovered a great little brunch spot in the UES called The Penrose (woo!!).

September
We went to our first Yankees game and I fulfilled my goal of one day owning a foam finger (simple joys), we spent a day at Prospect Park Zoo for the first time and we met up with friends from home. The city started to cool a little bit but there was still lots of lovely sunshine, we explored the beautiful Washington Mews and went to ASSSSCAT 3000 at the Upright Citizen Brigade.
October
We spent a long weekend in Chicago, IL where we ate deep dish pizza, visited the bean and spent a day at the Chicago Museum of Art. I assisted on my first lifestyle shoot with work, Fall came to NYC (it was lovely) and the city embraced Hallowe'en with lots of cool decorations! We went to the Tompkin's Square Halloween Dog Parade and saw an opera at the Met Opera House for the first time.

November
We celebrated 1 year in NYC and signed the contract to stay in our apartment for a second year. We cooked our first Thanksgiving meal (including homemade pecan pie) and saw A View from the Bridge and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time on Broadway - both great shows!

December
We enjoyed our second Christmas in NYC, admired all the lovely decorations everywhere and treated ourselves to a real tree again. We saw Joanna Newsom perform at the Kings Theatre, met up with friends from home, went for Christmas dinner on Long Island again and ended the year with the fireworks display in Prospect Park.
I'm excited to see what 2016 has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment